Last night I coded until 5am. Quite stupid of me, considering that I had to go to work at 9am. Whoopee, whole 3 hours of sleep. Not only did I do that, but then put in another 8.5 hours at work. I felt like a zombie.
Thank god for Jolt and other caffeine laden products. By 4pm I was buzzing. Unfortunately, caffeine has this nasty side-effect that it makes you sleepy after your body starts to metabolize it. Around 6:30-7pm I was almost out
It would all be kosher if I went to bed, but I decided that screwing up my sleeping pattern is not worth it, so I proceeded to clean my car.
I cleaned both front and back windshields, and was disgusted at the amount of crap on them. It should be better now. I took out Armour-all, and started shining the black moulded plastic in the car. Having finished (most) of that, I realized I should take a look why my door doesn’t disarm my alarm anymore and doesn’t let me close my sunroof.
I had the brilliant idea of doing CAR REPAIRS!! (Remember, I’m in severely exhausted state)
The plan of attack was as such:
- Remove any knobs protruding from the door
- Remove paneling
- Inspect wiring
- If possible, fix wiring
- Replace paneling
- Replace knobs
- Save about 150-200 bucks
Good plan, right? If I was a mechanic and did this for a living, probably. But since I’m a programmer, taking the car apart is not as easy.
Removing the knobs went (sort-of) smoothly. I figured out how to remove the door lock knob (It unscrews), and the mirror adjustment knob (It pulls off). When It came to removing the window crank, I hit a snag. The crank doesn’t twist off (I tried) nor does it slip off (Tried that too). After 30 minutes of fighting with the crank, it turns out that the little ring under the crank is a locking washer, and you just push it back and the crank is released. Neat!
Now that the knobs were off, time to take the paneling down. It was fastened by 6 relatively tiny screws. Took me about 10 minutes to remove them, since I didn’t have proper tools. The screws were Allan type, and I didn’t have Allan screwdriver. After I removed those six screws, the panel still wouldn’t come off.
After (another) 20 minutes of inspection and tugging, I realized that there must be more hidden screws.
Out came the speaker, and the door handle cover. Lo and behold, seven more screws. These guys didn’t leave much to chance.
After taking those screws out, I got to the treasure. The inside of the door (Hey don’t mock it, it took me a good hour and a half to get to this point), only to realize that I could have reached the lock from the outside by loosening one screw. Mind you, this way I got a really good look at the insides of the door, and was able to get the door back together later on. Seeing that I could do nothing, I put the door back together (much quicker that taking it apart) and decided to take my car to the repair shop.
Maybe I should try to do the 90,000km maintenance by myself. Replacing a belt shouldn’t be too hard.